Occupational Therapy for Infants
Your questions Answered!
As occupational therapists, our primary goal is to help people across the lifespan engage in the activities they want and need to do. For babies, this is no different!
Babies have the VERY important occupation of growing, exploring and learning. Each new skill brings new opportunities for physical, cognitive, and emotional development, promoting increased independence and connection to others.
For some babies, it can take longer to develop these skills. This is where we can help.
At Toronto Children’s Therapy Centre, our OTs can:
- Assess your child’s developmental milestones, with regards to gross motor, fine motor, visual motor, feeding and sensory needs
- Create a therapy program to promote strengthening and motor skill development in order for your child to engage meaningfully with their surroundings.
- Offer strategies around positioning and equipment to best meet your child’s need.
- And more!
How do I know if my child would benefit from Occupational Therapy services?
At Toronto Children’s Therapy Centre, we know that every baby is unique! Here are some questions to consider, which may suggest that your baby would benefit from OT services.
- Is my child showing delays in their developmental milestones? Are they slow to roll, sit, crawl or stand?
- Is my child having difficulty lifting their head, or turning their head only to one side?
- Is my child having difficulty reaching, grasping, or releasing toys?
- Does my child have poor muscle tone, making their muscles seem floppy or stiff?
- Does my child have jerky, or asymmetrical use of their arms or legs?
- Does my child show sensitivities to sensory input, such as light, sound, or smell?
- Does my child having difficulties with feeding?
If you have any further questions about what we do, or if your child would benefit from OT services, we would be more than happy to discuss.
Special note during COVID-19
Your family’s safety is our priority. To reduce physical contact during COVID-19, we are offering virtual assessments and therapy sessions! Please contact us to learn more!